Lobos is a rich and fertile agricultural area noted for its dairy business and its derivatives.
Besides the importance of rural party, the city of Lobos is also an important tourist destination within the province of Buenos Aires, due to its nightlife, fine dining, and large number of recreational activities.
Such as track cycling in the city park, spectacular Lobense League games Football and Basketball games exciting and Jockey in the presentations of Lobos Athletic Club. Wolves have also culturally important, with its active library, music groups, frequent samples of paint and exhibit spaces where musicians and artists of great national recognition. It is also a great attraction Museum Birthplace of General Juan Domingo Peron and the Museum of Natural Sciences.
Film and theater Italian parish, with its important architectural value, which reflects a part of our history, remain valid and frequently offer major works.
The party of tradition, the Lobos Day Parade, and foot races through the streets of the city, are part of the wide range of activities and entertainment that the city offers.
Lobos is also well known for being the place where the gaucho Juan Moreira found his death in 1874, having fled from justice for several years. This was also the birthplace of three times in 1895 the constitutional President Juan Domingo Peron.
For younger people, Lobos offers a very lively late night. The Portsmouth Nightclubs and Dasha, are competing for a larger audience every day.
For those who like cumbia, Dawn Dance at the Independent Club, nicknamed "the club of the rubber walls" due to its convening power, represents the lead in this type of entertainment in the area.
Lobos has racetrack, where they develop the striking roqueperense TC races, which gathers some local representatives, usually of high performance, in a significant number of competitors from across the province.
Leaving the urban zone are:
The Lobos Fortin airfield, located 8 km from the city, which houses one of the largest skydiving centers in the country, and a golf course with 18 holes of great category.
The Laguna de Lobos, which located about 15 km from the city is a major tourist and sports centers in the province at the lake.
Completing the Rio Salado, Lagunas Culu Colis and Zulu and several streams for fishing interesting. Also exciting bike skills for rural roads Lobos performed in several times a year, are a good plan to enjoy outdoors.
Origin of name:
In 1740 it explored the center and south of what would be the province of Buenos Aires for the first Jesuit mission. Rev. integrated this mission. Folkner father who was in charge of gathering all the information about the place. Based on his writings were made in London in 1772, The first map on this area, joining it at the bottom of our pond "L. Lobos."
The water surface was inhabited by many otters. In those days were known by the name of Giant river water, so it follows that the lake may have taken its name from the reference made by the Mission in 1740.
The minutes worked by the Cabildo of Buenos Aires on 17 - 3-1752 is the oldest known document in which is called "Los Lobos" the lake whose name gave rise to the Fort of San Pedro de Los Lobos, built in 1779, on the banks of the same, the second advanced against the Indian, organized by the Viceroy Vertiz. The only reference to that account mapping the location of the fort is the plane made in 1822, the Commission's trip to the South, by the Artillery Officer Assistant Engineer Don Jose Maria Reyes. The Laguna is revealed between two rivers indicated the existence of the fort and destroyed.
In the eighteenth century two parallel processes, one referring to livestock and other indigenous people, led to major changes in the lives of the people of the plains of Buenos Aires.
The indiscriminate dairies decreased the wild cattle, so grew the importance of leisure as suppliers of hides for export. At this time the trans-Andean Araucanians, who had already begun to cross the mountains, predominantly on the Indians of Patagonia and mingling with them to move decisively on the plain and began to take large-scale cattle harness to Chile, decreasing the amount of cattle in the pampas. The raid began to generalize and thus clashes with the Spanish, thus creating a fight that would only several decades after independence, with the Conquest of the Desert.
The border line came to the fore the concern of the authorities and the occupation of the desert took characteristics of military conquest. In 1752 famous companies were created Blandengues: The Courageous, which was installed on the banks of the River Luján, the invincible, who was stationed in Salto and The Bold Conqueror which was located on the banks of the River Samborombón in the ditch, now Chascomús. For safekeeping were built three forts, around which it was producing a spontaneous grouping of people.
The boundary line was established by the Viceroy and Commander Vértiz Border Artillery Betbeze Francisco by building or rebuilding strong in 1779, which were important source of Buenos Aires Province, including the Fort of San Pedro de Los Lobos.
The same was erected on the northern edge of the Laguna de Lobos, three hundred meters from the shore, in an almost equidistant between the mouth of Arroyo Las Garzas and Saladillo point Rodriguez was born and his work was completed on August 21 1779. The fort consisted of a few mud and straw huts, without doors or windows, surrounded by a defense of sticks to the bottom. The presence of the Indians from the mangrullo envisions. In 1792 he lived 16 militants.
Don José Salgado, who had received the Viceroy, the late eighteenth century, land to work, sets up two leagues north of the Fort and in 1802, a chapel at his own expense and provides it with useful and ornaments, celebrating the first church services on June 9, 1803.The old chapel was erected on the site now occupied by the parish church.
Born like this, to create this parish belonging to the Parish of Morón, the present town, he had no neighbors Salgado family, as the rest of the population, comprising 141 families are arranged in farms and ranches in the rest the district. When installed the Chapel, some neighbors began to settle along the wagon trail so there is a need to define the trace of the People.
In 1804, Don Ramon de Urquiola, local resident, supported by the parish priest Don José García Miranda, asks the Viceroy the layout of the town of San Salvador to Los Lobos and the demarcation of land for the cattle of the Church, recently achieving in 1811 the delimitation of the people of San Salvador de la Guardia del Partido de Lobos.